For the Stuffing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 18 ounces minced beef or lamb, or a combination
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baharat
FOR THE EGGPLANTS
- 3–4 eggplants
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- ½ teaspoon Baharat
- To prepare the stuffing, pour the olive oil into a medium frying pan, add the pine nuts and cook over medium heat until light golden in color. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the onions to the same pan and cook until they start to brown. Add the minced meat, salt and baharat and fry until the meat is nicely browned. Remove from the heat, stir the pine nuts into the meat mixture and set aside.
- To prep the eggplants, peel alternating strips (to create a striped effect) on each one and cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. In a large frying pan, pour enough oil to reach about 1 inch up the sides. When the oil is hot, fry one eggplant, turning the halves once, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Continue until all the eggplants are fried.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the eggplants flat-side up in a baking dish. With a sharp knife, make an incision halfway into the flesh all the way around each eggplant half, leaving 1 inch at each end. Gently push apart at the incision with your fingers and pull out the flesh to make a large pocket, and stuffeach eggplant half generously with the meat mixture. If any stuffing is left, scatter it around the eggplants in the dish.
- Top the eggplants with the diced tomatoes, scattering any extra in the dish as well. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and black pepper. Combine the stock, pomegranate molasses, baharat and 2 teaspoons of salt. Stir until combined, then pour into the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving withe rice or bread