- 8 to 12 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large white onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 long, green Italian frying peppers, seeded and julienned
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds hot and/or sweet Italian Sausage
6 to 8 sandwich rolls, split
Grill the sausage over hot coals, turning frequently, until thoroughly cooked and nicely browned all over, about 10 minutes.
Brush the inside of the r olls with a bit of olive oil and place on the grill just long enough to warm the bread and make black grill lines. Serve with the hot sausages and the sautéed eggplant, onion and peppers.
In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of the oil and sauté the onions and garlic until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peppers and continue to cook until they have softened, 5 minutes longer. Remove the mixture to a bowl.
In the same skillet, heat another 4 tablespoons of oil; sauté the eggplant slices a few at a time just until softened, 3 to 5 minutes, adding oil as needed. When all the eggplant has been sautéed, combine the vegetables, season to taste, and serve hot.